Saturday, September 18, 2010

Harmon Farms 10 miler Trail Run - The hunter in me

Tomorrow is Harmon Farms Trail Run. A 10 mile run I have been looking forward for a few weeks, when I signed up. I don't do much on trail, but I am slowly developing a good taste for the unpaved road. Somehow it brings the hunter in me. Not that I care for hunting (have never been and have little interest), but whenever I run on a trail (the rugged the better) I can't help but to think of a primitive man running to chase it's prey.

I recently finished the book How Pleasure Works: The New Science of Why We Like What We Like by Paul Bloom. The last chapter has references to the effect that nature has in humans. The author describes studies in which they add large screen TVs to an office with no windows and display images of nature. While the office workers indicated they liked the change, metrics of their blood pressure, heart rate, etc indicated no change. On the flip side, a window in the same office that overlooked some greenery had noticeable effect on those same metrics, much like studies that show that having a dog as a pet at home may lower your blood pressure.

I think the trail runs have that effect on me...

No comments:

Post a Comment