Friday, October 15, 2010

Tokyo here I come


Last night I received confirmation indicating I was selected in the lottery to participate in the 2011 Tokyo Marathon. A privilege extended to no more than 35,000 people. Clearly a very exclusive club. Here are the first few lines of the message.

Dear Mr. Diego Ramallo
Congratulations!
You have been selected to run the 2011 Tokyo Marathon.

What's more, Sharon was also selected to run the 10K, so that pretty much seals our plans to travel to Tokyo on late February. I was sad to learn, however that my brother-in-law, Edu, was not selected. Edu, who is temporarily living in Tokyo, run a number of Marathons in his youth, some decades ago. Since I run the Madrid Marathon with his 16 year old son (his first), I though it'd be a great idea to bring back Edu from running retirement and run Tokyo together. It wasn't meant to be. He lives in Tokyo, so there is always 2012 for him :-(

The news of my selection puts me on a wining streak. I am 2-0 for recent lotteries. Just a couple of months back I was selected to run the Zoom! Yah! Yah! indoor Marathon in St Olaf College. Maybe it is time I try signing up for New York again. My attempt a few years back was met with a rejection. The tide seems to be turning my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment