Sunday, October 24, 2010

Inspiring Solera

Last night was dinner at Solera. The word that came to mind as I was thinking about this post was inspiring. Every time I go there, I feel like I want to get in the kitchen and start cooking some tapas. Such a fun place...

During dinner my mother and Sharon were discussing that a place like this one would be successful wherever it was, including in Spain, where tapas are almost a way of life and competition is big. Solera beautifully blends traditional and creative. Execution in nearly flawless, even though there are a couple of dishes that are clearly warmed up in the oven when they should have been cooked on a stove or a griddle, something I am willing to forgive given the size of the menu and number of tables.

The surprise of the night was the wine. A 2006 LoriƱon white Rioja expertly selected by Sharon whose wine selections never disappoint. I like wine and like to take each glass as a new experience. Before I even taste it, I like to sit with a glass for a few minutes smelling it. The first smell I got from this one didn't last long. I smelled butter. Specifically, goat butter. As I swirled the wine, still not tasting it, something much stronger started developing. Was that cheese? It was sharper... blue cheese! This wine smelled like a blue cheese, almost like a Cabrales.

I know that does not sound appealing, but it was not off-putting. The smell was clearly there, but it was soft and still somewhat buttery. The taste didn't disappoint. Flavorful, somewhat dry, and yes, you can taste blue cheese. At least I could. A very interesting wine.

The food was also terrific, and I feel, given the variety, service and quality, at a very reasonable price, (of course the restaurant.com certificate didn't hurt either). I love their shrimp and tetilla croquettes, which I order whenever I go there. We were so hungry when we got in and were having so much fun that I took just two pictures, the wine and the clams with sea urchin. Delicious!

We will have to come here with Tim and Joy. Joy will make sure we have many more pictures and even beat me to the punch publishing them on Facebook before I have time to do my entry in this blog :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment