Sunday, October 30, 2011

Boom Boom Pow

Arriving at the 2010 People for Parks 5K and finding out the City of Lakes 25K was just finishing as the 5K was just getting started gave me an idea.  Would it be possible to run them both back to back?  I've always been a big fan of running bonus miles (extra miles run before or after a race).  Having two races back to back would make each race serve as each other's bonus miles.

Even better, the start of the first race was just shy of 7 miles from my home, so how about adding those miles to get some extra extra bonus miles for the day.  The tree strikes would be a running Boom Boom Pow worth writing about.  The mileage was not a concern, just shy of a full marathon.  I know it could be done.

I made the proposal to my friend Tim at the bottom of my race report from the 2010 5k run.  His response at the bottom of the blog was positive.  A running date set a year in advance.

With the races day approaching, I sent my emails out.  Included Scott too.  Unfortunately, Tim had had a bike accident a few months before, and while his bones were healed, he felt too out of shape.  Scott had a more pressing commitment to run one of his crazy long trail races.  I was left alone and alone I would run it.

The first leg was great.  Left at 6:30 AM to make it on time for the first race.  Completed 6.92 miles in 1:02:33. Just over 9 minute miles.  I had to force myself to slow down.  There were still too many miles to come.

30 minutes later the second leg started.  The 25K City of Lakes, started well, but the sun came up high in the sky and tok much of my energy.   I managed a finish in 2:29:46 or 9:33 minutes per mile.  My start was considerably faster, but my steam was definitely running out.

Another 30 minutes wait and I am joined by a few friends to run the 5k.  I feel I no longer have the desire to run again.  Even this 5k seems like a daunting task.  The sun is high and it feels pretty warm.  Birdie was to join us to cheer not to run (and of course for a burger afterwards).  I convince her to walk to 5k with me and take Sharon's place (who could not make it due to a cold).  So my third leg resulted in a personal record as the slowest 5K I ever run (walked, really).

With a finish of 52:43 and an average pace of 16:55 min/mile, it was a little Pow to follow the Boom, Boom.  But I got a kick out of it anyway. Walking with Birdie was fun and I got to wear two race bibs from the two races.  Thanks go to Birdie for giving me the support I needed to complete the third leg of the day.  Those bonus miles are dedicated to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment