Saturday, October 15, 2011

Tapas at Home

Sharon and I had some friends over for dinner last night to welcome a couple into the building.  We took the day off to prepare and really spent it cooking non-stop for one of our (slowly becoming legendary) tapas party.  I am sorry to say that I completely spaced out and did not take a single picture, you my readers will have to take my word for it.  Everything listed below was cooked and looked (and tasted) great.

The menu started as a copy of one tapas party had for Tim and Joy a few months back, but quickly evolved and we ended up with something almost entirely different.
  • Baked Idaho Potato Chips with Sweet Barnea EVOO and Ibiza Sea Salt and Peppadew Peppers - Sharon makes these and they are terrific.  Slowly becoming a regular item to open our tapas parties.
  • Fresh Figs Baked with Mangalica Jamón and Clover Honey - These came out great.  The jamon was a last minute addition when I say it at Surdyk's, where it was retailing for $78 a pound.  The seven very thin sliced I got were $7.  Ridiculous, but terrific. 
  • Chèvre, Cream, Fleur de Sal and White Truffle Honey - A copy of 112 Eatery's, where they make it with ricotta instead of goat cheese.  This is such a simple and great dish.
  • Shrimp Toast with Chèvre, Shallots, Jalapeño, Pancetta, and Lemony-Grain Mustard Aioli - A truly last minute addition as recommended by my dentist the morning of the party as I was having my teeth cleaned and she commented on a dish her husband made for her birthday 4 days ago.
  • Red Pepper Scallops Ceviche with Hojiblanca EVOO and Jalapeño Ice
  • Warm Tomato Confit Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Truffle Oil-Kalamata Balsamic Vinaigrette  - These tomatoes were in the over for 4 hours at 250 degrees with garlic, olive oil and salt.  They came out sweet and delicious.
  • Flamenco Quail Eggs with Asparagus, Red Pepper, Palacios Chorizo and Pomodoro Sauce - This was the type of dish that I should have photographed for the blog.  It looked pretty awesome.
  • Turkey Thigh Meatballs with Saffron-San Marzano Tomato Sauce and Saffron Home-made Crackers - A staple at our house.  Sharon makes the crackers and we can never have enough of them.
  • Moroccan Surf ‘n Turf with Lamb, Shrimp, Cumin, Fennel and Santo Domingo Pimentón over Brava Sauce - Probably my least favorite, but not bad.  Presentation was incredible with the brava sauce splattered over the top, but the meat was a little tough.
  • Savory Bread Pudding with Hot Italian Sausage, fennel, Asparagus and Goat Gouda - In both Sharon's and my opinion, the best dish by far.  Loosely based on a recipe I found online, but greatly modified (enhanced?) with the goat gouda, fennel and cream instead of milk.  I also doubled a couple of the ingredients to kick it a a few notches.  We will be making this again for sure.
  • Vanilla Ice Cream and 2007 Don Pedro Ximénez Sherry - The Sherry is poured over the ice cream to get great dessert that sort of reminds you of a creme brûlée.  This was a pairing we saw at a wine tasting that stuck with us. 
  • Espresso-Dark Rum Chocolate Mousse servers with Smith Woodhouse Port - A recipe from Alton Brown that is entirely out of this world good.
Again, sorry I forgot t take any pics.  I even had the camera out, just never remembered...


No comments:

Post a Comment