Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Mystery PR

Just came back from my Sunday long run and I got an awesome PR.  The only problem is that I don't know what it is.

My training scheduled called for ten miles, but I don't have a ten mile route that I like, so decided to run to Calhoun Lake, run around the lake and come back.  Something in the neighborhood of 12 miles.  My Garmin 405 showed 45% battery, which used to be sufficient for a 12 mile run.  Apparently not anymore.

As the last recording indicates, the watch died 9.32 miles into my run just over one hour and thirteen minutes after I started.  That makes for a blazing 7:50 per mile.  That may not be Olympic material, but for me it is pretty awesome.  I have NEVER done under 8 minutes per mile on distances over 10 miles.  I am usually happy (thrilled) with any time under 9 minute/miles (as in 8:55 or 8:57).  This is a full minute faster!

But then the watch died.  So I will never know what my full PR was.  The distance is somewhat easier to calculate.  Since my run was an out-and-back kind of run, I can easily figure out the mileage missed in the recording (3.75), although that would make it 13.7 total miles and I have done this run many times before I I know it is not that long.  It appears the low battery has an effect on the measured distance too.

So to settle on the distance I went to one of my previous runs of that route and I called 12.65 miles for that distance.

The timing is trickier, because after the run I spend a few minutes stretching.  For that I counted songs.  I played Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones.  It played 3-1/2 times while I was stretching before I got to a watch I could trust.  All I had to do now was subtract 0:12:33 (0:03:35 x 3.5) from the current time to get my ending time.

That resulted in a total running time of 1:38:00 for an average pace of 7:45.  While it is suspicious that my last (unrecorded) miles would have an average pace faster then the previous 9, I do know that I was trying to press to finish strong even the in face of no recording device.

So I will call it a speed PR on over 12 miles at 7:45 and will place a figuratively asterisk next to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment