Sunday, May 15, 2011

Grand Breakfast at the Grand Cafe

For the second time in a few weeks, a group of us went to the Grand Cafe in Minneapolis after a walk/run around Lake Calhoun.  

The first time I tried their Kobe Brisket Corned Beef Hash  (an awesome value at $13).  It comes with two poached eggs, lots of potatoes, peas and whole grain mustard.  I thought it was very good.  Not the canned and sliced corned beef that you sometimes get at a restaurant, but the real and very delicious variety.  The dish was so big I could not finish it.  Sharon had their Huevos Rancheros (made with local pork confit) and she liked them a lot.

This time I ordered their Eggs Benedict (left) which come with a choice of ham or house-made gravlax (I went with the latter), sauteed asparagus (which come deliciously crispy and fresh), hollandaise sauce and potatoes.  One of the best and most satisfying Eggs Benedict I have had recently (and I order them a lot).  This is a dish I will need to go back to try again.


Birdie ordered something I had been eyeing on both visits to this very fine establishment, the Eggs en Cocotte (below).

Beautifully poached eggs with puff pastry, Italian ham, truffle cream (oh my gosh) and Comte Gruyere cheese.  It looked great and Birdie said it was good, eggy and soothing.  Although she did mention that it was a tad bland or a least lacking of a punch that the Italian ham and even the truffle cream failed to deliver.  Still, she liked them and recommended them for somebody looking for an egg breakfast.

This is the type of place that I love to frequent for breakfast.  It has an original menu that is creative, appetizing and very well executed.  All at a reasonable price. Really... what's not to like.

1 comment:

  1. Muy oportuna la foto de Forrest Gump, podrías llegar a ser tan famoso como él :-)
    Yo también usé esas botas de pequeña y aunque no consigo correr marathones me quedaron unas piernas preciosas.
    Saludos desde Guatemala.

    ReplyDelete