Friday, May 6, 2011

Hazel's Northeast Popping where Pop used to be

Last Saturday, Sharon and I had a chance to try Hazel's Northeast.  This is the place that opened where Pop! A Restaurant used to be in Minneapolis at 2859 Johnson St NE. 

For me that was a bad start, since I liked Pop very much (particularly their salmon burger, which I thought was the best in town and I hope they still serve at their location in St Paul), but I can't really blame them for that.  I am pretty sure they didn't muscle that other restaurant out of the locale.

The place looks just about the same as Pop used to look.  We were thinking about having breakfast, but by the time we got there, it was late enough that we ended up sharing two lunch sandwiches.

I ordered The Traveler (above), a brisket, caramelized onion and horseradish sandwich.  I thought it was very good.  The onion was sweet, the beef was tender and the bread was nicely toasted with good fries that didn't taste like the frozen kind.  If I have a criticism was that the horseradish was rather mild.  Funny enough, Sharon's half was way to spicy because of the horseradish (as in way, way to spicy, to the point she did not finish it).

Sharon ordered a bacon, cheddar and egg burger that was served with syrup on the side to make it more of a brunch menu item.  I will admit that we didn't try adding the syrup, but after having eaten it, I can see how it might have gone well.  The bun was buttery, the patty juicy and the egg appropriately cooked to be inside a sandwich.

Overall, I thought it was a good meal, although I will have to do some convincing to get Sharon to come again after her horseradish overdose.  I think it is worth some negotiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment