Sunday, May 15, 2011

Custom Orthotics

About once a year, usually following my last long training run before a marathon (23 miles), I end up with a sore ankle.  After a couple of visits to my family doctor, she recommended I get custom orthotics. I first resisted the idea, but after I almost missed running Tokyo Marathon, a race that required I get a cortisone shot to get to the start line, I started thinking that maybe I need to take a look at them (OK, it also helped to know that my medical insurance, which I rarely make use of, would cover 90% of the cost.)

After talking with a doctor specialized in running injuries and having a nurse make custom molds f my feet, I finally got the insoles in the mail.  I have since run twice on them and can't really say I am crazy about them.  They certainly do not feel custom made (perhaps I got somebody else's ;-)  They feel a little heavy, not as breathable as the original shoe insoles (they make my feet hot, something I rarely feel otherwise) and somewhat rigid.  

Still, I am committed to give them a fair shot.  I will increase length slowly and eventually do my longest runs with them as I train and probably during marathons as well.  As they say, I am not getting any younger, so perhaps with some help I can eliminate my one injury a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment