Sunday, April 17, 2011

Trail Mix 25K Race Report

Terrific race!  I was close to missing it due to an ankle injury, but thanks to Bridget's very poor advice, I run it anyway and had a blast.  Thanks, Bridget.

I run it with my New Balance 800, my only pair of trail shoes.  Needless to say, given the snow, rain and mud everywhere, mine no longer look as clean as the picture.  I really love these shoes.  They are probably the primary reason why I run trail races, to use them more often ;-)

As I am lining up behind the start line and just about 15 seconds before the gun, I see a back of a head I recognize.  Is that Tim?  As I get closer i see that not only it is Tim, but he is with Liz, Rob and Mel, a subset of the Phoenix running club.  The gun goes off and we start running.  I run with them for about a quarter of a mile and then take off.  I see them only once after that as we are running in opposite direction (as the course requires) as I am getting almost to the finish line.

Anyway, no more than a mile into the race, my ankle started bothering me.  I pushed through and the pain never elevated from that.  A day later, I feel great.  I sure feel the hills in my muscles, but my ankle seems to have survived he race.

The course is a series of loops in Hyland Park.  25K requires two loops, those attempting 50k will need to do four.  Anyway, great race.  The terrain has lots of hills and because of the rain the previous day, plenty of mud.  I think that made it more fun.  3/4 into tehrace I was even considering signing up for the 50K (~31 miles) next year.  By the end I was wondering if I could handle another two laps.  Maybe taking it easier.  A lot easier.  Something to think about.

Official time is not yet posted, but my Garmin 205 showed 2:29:04 or 9:36 per mile.  I was quite pleased with that given the elevation changes visible on the uploaded route.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment