Sunday, April 10, 2011

Runs4Food Personals

            You, late teens, petite, with a brunette pony-tail, black 
            tights and a green hoodie.  Me early forties, with a tattoo 
            on the left calve, black short and a sleeveless white shirt.
            We passed each other several times running around Lake  
            Calhoun.  I just wanted to say thanks.  You helped me 
            reach a new PR.
            
Yep that's right...  Just a week after reaching a PR on the 23 mile distance and three weeks after smashing my 1/2 Marathon PR, I have a new one to add to the books.  This time is on the 12 mile distance.  The time was 1:40:11 or 8:21 per mile.  That is well over 5 minutes faster than my previous 12 mile record.  I am definitely on a roll.

Since I did 23 last week and I have a race next week (Trail Mix 25k) and a marathon in just three weeks (Eau Claire) , I was just trying to run the 12 that my training schedule called for at an easy pace (about 9:20).  I was well on track when I reached Lake Calhoun and say a runner cross in front of me at a good pace.  I decided to push a little and pass her.  It was easy enough, but a couple of minutes later, she zoomed pass me.  I pressed again and a few minutes later I had caught up to her and passed her again only to see her zoom pass me once again.

This time it was a challenge.  I frantically searched on my iPod for a power song and once I found it (San Francisco Bay Blues from Eric Clapton's Unplugged) I managed to pass her once and for all.  for the rest of the loop (about 1-1/2 or 2 more miles), she kept close, but never managed to pass me again.

Then I took off to go back home and decided to keep pressing to make a good time.  The result was another awesome PR.  Thanks, stranger.  I hope you are happy with you time too.

Over the miles, I have learned who and how to pass another runner.  So nine times out of ten times, when I pass, is like the kiss of death.  You will have little chances of taking the lead again.  That is good because there is nothing worse that pressing to pass somebody to end up eating their dust just a few minutes later.

Here is the trick to avoid that situation.  As you see your target, get close and follow for a good quarter of a mile.  Asses the situation.  How is the current pace?  Comfortable?  Expect that once you pass, the other runner might press a little harder and try to pass you.  Could you increase the pace and maintain it for a good mile? If the answer is yes, pass.

You can expect to be passed again.  No worries.  Repeat the steps above.  Whatever you do, do not pass again immediately.  Follow, keep a close distance for a quarter of a mile and then pass again.  The best thing that can happen is that you two keep passing each other and pushing to get great times.  If that is the case, when you finally split, protocol requires you take a minute to thank the other runner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment