Saturday, December 25, 2010

A New Milestone

Running 5 times a week, you are likely to hit milestones with a certain frequency. Last Saturday I hit 4,000 miles (about 6,400 KM) since I started recording my miles (which is almost to say the same as since I started running). As a reference, that is a little short of the distance between Madrid, Spain and Chicago, IL as the bird flies. The total (consecutive) time it took to run that distance? 25 days, 14 hours, 29 minutes and 38 seconds.

More interesting is the fact that this is the fastest 1,000 miles I have ever reached. It took me 567 days (basically 18 months) to hit the first 1K. In 434 days I reached 2K. I brought that number down again to reach 3K miles in just 357 day (first under 12 months, even if just by a bit). The last thousand miles were reached in exactly 300 days. A tad under 10 months. That is over 8 months faster than the first thousand!

The increase is probably due to the number of marathons completed in 2010 (4) and the associated training. More so, I have learned enough about my own body to learn when not to push and as a result I have been running injury free for the last two years, reducing my downtime.

I don't expect for a significant change from this point, though. Largely because last year I was very disciplined about running regularly and following my training schedule, which is unlikely to change. Still, I bet I can bring it down by another couple of weeks. Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment