Monday, December 6, 2010

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Last weekend I did one of my favorite things in the kitchen: roasted tomatoes. I simply take the core out, cut them in half and put then in a hot oven with some thyme, oregano and extra virgin olive oil.

Two things happen in the oven. First, some of the water evaporates and thus concentrates the favor on the tomatoes, making them somewhat deeper and even adds some caramelization with the sugar on the tomato. Second, since tomatoes have so much water, the only part that really chars is the skin, reason why I don't peel them or discard the skin afterwards. In the skin is the only place where the char flavor resides.

With the tomatoes, I then made a three soups.

  • A vegan roasted tomato soup to be eaten with Roquefort and cayenne-spiced walnuts (which I made myself as well). This one is very smooth and velvety.
  • A rustic roasted tomato soup with soem sheep yogurt to be eaten with home-made croutons (made with aged sheep cheese).
  • Roasted tomato Manhattan clam chowder (pictured). For this I used some of that awesome hardwood smoked bacon from Minette and Buzz. This was was particularly delicious and last night's dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment