Saturday, November 13, 2010

Statistics!

Who doesn't love statistics? I have been logging every one of my runs since I started running regularly back in June of 2006. Since then, I have run close to 4,000 miles in 596 runs (that's is an average of 6.5 miles per run. This is enough data to start running some juicy statistics.

Let me start with some definitions that will come in handy later. I need to explain some of the classifications or labels I use for run types:
  • Club run: I started labeling these to differentiate from my other training runs since in them I am not in full control of the pace
  • Hill repeats: A run that goes back and forth on a good incline. Starts with a 10 minute run at easy pace on a flat surface and then eight to ten runs uphill each followed by a walk downhill. The drill ends with another ten minutes on a flat surface.
  • Long run: This is the Holy Grail of the runs. The reason why all the other types of run exist. The purpose is distance, not speed. The only rule is go long.
  • Race: well... miles run on a race, duh!
  • Recovery: A run that follows an intensive day (whether speed, long run, hill or tempo). Run at a slower pace, the purpose is to recuperate from the exertion of the last run.
  • Speed: A drill that also starts with 10 minutes at an easy pace and then alternates bursts of speed with stretches at an easy pace (I usually do 1 min at full speed followed by 90 seconds at a very easy trot). This drill also ends with 10 minutes at an easy pace.
  • Tempo: A run at a pace slightly faster than is entirely comfortable.
  • Trail run: this is self-explanatory, but I wanted to point out that this number is artificially low in the stats below because most of my trail runs have been races, so they are labeled as race. A good indicator of my trail runs is looking at the New Balance column in the tables below, since my only pair of New Balance happens t be also my only pair or trail shoes.
  • Warm up: I read an article on the perfect training week which called for 4 runs a week: tempo, recovery, speed (or alternatively hill repeats) and long run. I wanted to run a fifth day, so I instituted a short 4 mile run on Saturdays to warm up for my long run on Sundays.
Let's start with average pace. Hill repeats are the slowest since they involve a slow run uphill and a walk downhill. Speed runs are also artificially and counterintuitively slower because of the alternate high and low speed.

I would have liked to see a faster pace on my tempo runs, but am glad to see they hold their ground as the fastest ones. I am also happy to see that my long runs hold a respectable 9:06 pace. This is not bad considering that they very often exceed 15 miles. Even better is seeing that on my races (when it counts), I still shave 4 seconds off my long run pace.

A breakdown of type of run by shoe brand (table immediately below) immediately shows that Asics are my favorite shoe (specifically the Asics Kayano). They account for nearly 65% of all my miles logged. The most common type of run is a tempo run (36.9%) followed by long runs (22.5%).
I like to see that just 14.1% of my miles are races. This is an indicator that I train quite a bit for my races.

You can also see I am not a big fan of hill repeats or even speed runs. They played a role to get me to increase my pace and help me break 4 hours on a marathon, but after that, they fell out of favor for the less complicated tempo runs. I have always said I am a lazy athlete, which suits running very well since there is no complexity to it - you just put on a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and some shoes and head out the door.

A count of races by shoe also highlights my personal preference for Asics. Although, lately I have felt, every pair of shoes should complete a significant (half marathon or longer) race before their retirement. It's my little way to thank them for services rendered.


The table to the right displays totals by surface. Here I was able to bring all of my trail miles (not that many, really, but growing as of lately). By a long mile (no pun intended), I am a road warrior. I like the predictability and ease of the paved surface (in addition to being a lazy athlete, I am also a pretty boring one).

The treadmill miles are a consequence of living in Minnesota. Last year was my first one running outside through the winter, well below freezing temperatures. I remember the day running around Lake Calhoun when the contents of my bottle of Gatorade froze into an undrinkable slush. Even last year, however, only the long runs where done outside. It just takes too long to put on so many layers to got for a 5 or 6 mile run.

The table for races is also interesting. Forty-two in total with the most common being the Marathon. As I said, the long runs are the Holy Grail or my runs, so it makes sense that Marathons would be the most populate of my races.

It should be noted that The Ragnar Relay number is overstated since I am counting relay legs and not races.
The large number of 5K races is partly due to them being a fun thing to do and partly a way to get a t-shirt. Last, I'd comment on the only two 20 milers. They were used to prepare for my first two Twin Cities Marathons, and where soon replaced for training runs of the same or longer distance without the registration cost.

To close I will include some of my records:
  • Fastest race: 2007 Lung Run (benefits lung cancer research) 5K in 0:23:23 or 7:32/mile
  • Fastest run: A tempo run on Sept 4, 2008 - 5.5 miles in 0:40:00 (7:15/mile)
  • Longest run: 42.1 miles at the 2010 Ragnar Relay race (completed in three legs and a victory lap with the team on the last mile). The longest run in one sitting would be the 2008 Mardi Gras marathon in New Orleans (4:01:41), the only marathon I have run beginning to end without a single walking step.
  • Best marathon time: 2008 Twin Cities - Finished in 3:51:49 or 8:51/mile. It was windy, cold and rainy... it was great!
  • Most fun time running: 2009 Ragnar Relay Race, hands down.
Hope you enjoy this post. It was over 4 years and 15 pairs of shoes in the making (it also took a while to collect the numbers).

Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment