Wednesday, November 10, 2010

R2T Food Critique

The Rails to Trails Marathon package includes a food voucher. Given that this is a food blog too, I thought I’d give it an appropriate critique. The place has the charm of an outdoor picnic/shelter with wooden benches and tables by a park. The service is however terrible. You have to stand in line like a McDonalds to get your food. A line that took about 20 minutes.

The delay if due to Agnes (not her real name), a 90-year old woman who is in charged of the beverages at the end of the serving line and who apparently feels she should savor every remaining minute of her life and has never experienced standing in line with cramping legs.

The food itself includes:

  • Grilled chicken that is nicely charred on the skin, but unfortunately dry.
  • Store-bought potato salad (I am not even talking Whole Foods or Byerly’s).
  • A piece of bread, that even though it was cleverly disguised by cutting it in half and folding it, it didn’t fool me. It was sliced sandwich bread.
  • A mini cupcake (to add insult to injury, mine has the frosting smeared)
  • Chocolate milk (at least for those that came before me, since they run out). My guess is that Agnes was over-pouring.

In summary, if you are planning on taking the 3½ hour road trip and running the marathon just to get the food, I’d probably reconsider. Of course I had no way of knowing since neither Michelin nor Zagat have made it there just yet. What until they do, they are in for a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment