Friday, November 26, 2010

Phoenix Chili contest

A couple of weeks back we had ourselves a Chili contest in our building. Dubbed the Chili Hoedown, we had a terrific turnout (no fewer than 8 chilis and over 20 attendees.

I made a three-bean vegetarian chipotle chili that I had made in the past and came out terrific. I will admit that my beans were a tad hard (I started with dry beans) and that in the unsuccessful attempt to soften them on time for the contest I burned the bottom a bit.

I suspect and hope the petite diced jalapeños, 4 year old cheddar and the Crème Fraîche helped masked the shortcomings of my entry, which sill managed to get quite a few votes and was nearly gone by the end of the evening. (Sorry, I got distracted when people came and didn't actually get pictures of the chilis, I know, I know...)

Another great success was the cornbread and honey butter. Both Sharon and Anita made heir versions and I couldn't tell which one was better but to find out I had several pieces of each :-)

People really enjoyed the evening. Yet another opportunity to get together, meet new neighbors and chat with old friends.

Timing could not have been better. The morning of the contest, we got our first snowfall of the 2010 winter which blanketed Minneapolis and gave us beautiful views from the River Room, the venue of our event. The snow gave us also the opportunity at the end of the evening to make some good ol' snow angels. Below is a picture or our angel makers, (from left to right) Sharon, Anita and Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment