Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ragnar Vigil

The Ragnar race goes over 24 hours (in our case 31:41), and in most cases there is little to no sleep during the race. When you are not running, you are driving or serving as the safety officer (new role this year that must be fulfilled from the passenger seat of the van and fully awake). If you are not filling one of this roles, you are either getting ready to run or just came for running and are all pumped up. The result is that even if you try to catch a few zees chances are you won't.

A funny thing happened to me (twice now, since I came back from the race. I wake up in the middle of the night and, in the haze of the night, I think that I am in the middle of a Ragnar-like race. I feel I cannot go back to sleep, because I am either next to run or need to take over for the van driver. So I do my best to stay awake. The interesting thing is that I now I am in my bedroom and I know that knowing this makes the race story so much more difficult to be true, however, that doe snot stop me from believing that somehow, I am still in the middle of a race. In the middle of the night haze, it takes me 5 to teen minutes to convince myself that there is no need to stay awake and I can go back to sleep.

While I am awake, however, I have some of the same excitement I have during the race. It sure is a fun event. Here is a picture of the Ragnar van where we didn't get to sleep :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment