Monday, August 23, 2010

Minette's Japanese Eggplant Fries

Attending Minette and Buzz's Gumbo party we knew we were up for something special.
We have tried their Gumbo before (Buzz's family recipe from many generations ago in Louisiana, perfectly executed by Minette), so we were looking forward to this dinner. What we didn't expect was the appetizer. Don't get me wrong, the Gumbo was definitely the star of the night, but that we knew that coming in. The appetizer (pictured) were Japanese Eggplant Fries. Here is how Minette described them to me... Cut the Japanese eggplant in the shape of fries and soak them for a while in water and salt. While they soak, mix cornmeal, paprika and cayenne. Then coat the eggplant in the mixture and fry them in vegetable oil. I know... no egg or milk, amazing! More so when you see the result. A crispy exterior with lots of cornmeal and a soft and delicious interior. This was served with a mayonnaise with some cayenne and (can't remmeber, but I will guess) some herbs and lemon juice. Thanks Minette and Buzz. Awesome night.

1 comment:

  1. These look awesome! I will have to try making these at my next get together! :)

    ReplyDelete