Friday, June 29, 2012

Dinner at the Craftsman

We found The Craftsman quite by accident several years ago and try to go there with some frequency.  The decor is warm with mission-style furniture and Frank Lloyd-Write touches throughout.  The menu is heavy on local, in-season and organic ingredients.  It always reminds me of Heartland, recent winner of the coveted James Beard Award and a subject of this blog.  Although The Craftsman has similar quality and ingredients but a lower price endless populous atmosphere.

Last night it was dinner with our friends and neighbors Warren and Chelle.  What a great time.  We started with a long conversation that seemed it could have gone for days, but our of hunger, I diverted my attention to the menu to get some nourishment.  We started sharing the charcuterie plate and a large cheese plate with some tempranillo.  The star was definitely the     charcuterie plate with great cured meats and pate/terrine like meats including pork, duck and rabbit.

For the main entree Chelle and I opted for the rabbit confit with polenta croutons and honey.  Although my rabbit was slightly dry (I like my birds just cooked), the flavor was spot-on and the croutons were delicious.   Warren's duck looked terrific and as he pointed out later, he cleaned the bone.  That good it was.  Sharon had a carbonara of which I got a taste and enjoyed the delicious, salty taste of pancetta.

We didn't try the desserts (probably because of all the bread we had with the apps), but I have in the past and they are in keeping with the rest of the menu.  Really a terrific place worth to continue to patronize.

No comments:

Post a Comment