Saturday, January 28, 2012

Gold Medal Challenge - Part II

Last Sunday was part two of the Gold Medal Challenge part of the Icebreaker Half Marathon and Marathon at the Pettit National Ice Center in Milwaukee, WI.  Earning the gold medal required running the half on Saturday and then the full on Sunday.  You also got the bronze for the half and the silver for the full, so running both races nets you three medals.  For those addicted to the metal as I am, a pretty good deal, even if it requires a 11 hour drive round trip (the last 3 hours in icy rain).

Anyway, having spent the last night having dinner at the very terrific Christie's Bar & Grill, I got up early and headed to the Olympic facility where the event takes place. The race started at 8:00AM after a beautiful rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner by a local singer.  

One of the laps around the ice
skating ring during the Marathon
There isn't much to add about the full that was not mentioned on the blog entry for the half.  Basically the same terrain and temperature controlled weather, just twice the length (96 laps).  I will add that this was my third (out of 17 marathons) in which I did not take a walking step.  Running end to end is easy when there are no uphills (no excuses).  I am also glad that the ankle that had been bothering me since New York did not affect me in the least.

When running by the projector you can check your lap count
I completed the full in 4:11:13 placing 57 out of 117.  A pretty average run for me.  I do have to say, I enjoy a run in which you get to see the lead runners several times over (even cheer for them as the y pass you).  Usually they take off before you and never get to see them from the corral.  By the time you finish, they are long gone (awards and all).

I also enjoyed the volunteers, who handed you your water bottle on request and provided lap counts when asked.  Really an awesome bunch.     

It is a tad for from home, but I think the event is definitely a fan one to attempt again.  Two technical T-shirts and three medals also help.


A marathon runner at an Olympic facility wearing the
silver and gold medals earned for the event

No comments:

Post a Comment