Sunday, February 13, 2011

Heavenly couscous, accidentally

I have a piece of cod, which I haven't cooked in a while and I am not sure what to do with it. So I head to the fridge and I see that there are a few items that ought to be used or they risk going bad. I pull them all out and find some couscous in the pantry. Couscous is good because it is high in carbs (runner's fuel) and low in fat, but cooked right can really make a dish.

The ingredients were spinach, pine nuts, nicoise olives, cherry tomatoes and garlic.

I decided to cook the spinach separately, wilt them in olive oil with salt and pepper and place them in a circle on the plate.

For the couscous, I chop the pine nuts and toast them. Then, in a pot, I heat up olive oil and cook the garlic chopped until it starts to brown. Then add the cherry tomatoes (whole), the nicoise olives (roughly chopped) and the toasted pine nuts. As soon as the tomatoes start to blister I add the couscous and let it get coated with the oil. Last I add some chicken stock, stir, cover and take off the stove to finish cooking while I cook the fish.

I have enough flavors already, so cook the cod in a little but of olive oil with salt and pepper. I fluff and plate the couscous in the center of the spinach and top it with the cod.

The result was very surprising in that it all came together so beautifully. Flavors perfectly balanced, all within a very healthy dish. Definitely will have to do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment