Sunday, June 20, 2010

Runs 4 Food

Food and running. I can’t think of two other pursuits that are as complementary.

With an obsessive personality I have to be careful about choosing interests, otherwise they can easily take over. These two keep each other in check beautifully. Consistently running between twenty-five and forty miles a week gives you some latitude in calorie intake (there is a different perspective on portion size after burning 1500 calories during a long Sunday run before even getting to the breakfast table). On the other hand, keeping in mind the next run forces you to eat well, load up on fruits and vegetables, whole grains, good fats and wonderful carbs. So to a large extent running and food blend together making the best of each other, much like red wine and a good aged cheese.

The word food is intentionally vague in the blog title and theme. It refers to the process of planning a meal, cooking, sharing and eating. It also includes discovering a new restaurant in town or while on the road. Food is good in any way it comes and it must touch all the senses. It is also an intellectual exercise of carefully conceiving, combining, designing, crafting.

Growing up in Spain, I spent a great deal of time in the kitchen or otherwise around food. Few countries have the culinary diversity and mastery for so many ingredients as Spain. This upbringing had a strong influence in my life. Still does.

Running was a far more recent interest. I was a latecomer to the sport not starting until my late thirties. Almost immediately, however, I was running regularly and within a year I was running marathons. Running keeps me healthy and calm. As little as I can claim in that respect, anyway.

So the goal of this blog is not so much to share the thoughts that cross my mind during a long run or the ideas I get about food, but more a way to offload those things off my mind to make room for new thoughts and ideas. If you get something from it, even better. For me it is just therapy…

No comments:

Post a Comment